The summit will provide an opportunity to share knowledge, solutions, and best practices in managing challenges and seeking opportunities on improving environmental impacts of sporting entities.
Divided into two key areas of Built Environment Innovations (development, planning and design of physical spaces such as venues) and Stakeholder Engagement Strategies (developing and communicating sustainability messages and actions), the Summit will include keynote addresses, case studies, industry panels and networking opportunities. The aim of these full day events is to offer possible solutions and inspire action, small or large, towards achieving:
* Efficiencies and ecological consciousness in urban and regional development via outdoor space management (e.g., sport facilities, parks, community centers, etc.) best practices.
* Increasing participation in sport and recreation due to accessible and better-managed fields and facilities.
* Reducing financial and social costs associated with development through ecologically sustainable development (ESD).
Our expert panelists will of domestic and international sustainability leaders will share their perspectives- panel members include:
* Brad Mohr (Assistant Director of Ballpark Operations, Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball)
* Simon Gorr (Stadium Development Manager, AFL)
* Brian Thurston (Business Development Manager, Sustainability Services, Waste Management)
* Darlene van der Breggen (Principal Urban Designer, Public Works, Government Architect's Office, NSW)
* Natalie Valentine (Manager - Simonds Stadium, Co-ordinator - Sports Venues, City of Greater Geelong)
* And other industry and community leaders
"We hope that these best practices and insights will provide the attendees and the sports community in general with solutions and ideas that will lead, inspire and educate them with ways to improve their ecological footprint," says SSU Director, Dr. Sheila Nguyen, LEED Green Associate.
SPORTS SUSTAINABILITY SUMMIT SCHEDULE
Melbourne - 25th of March, 2013
Deakin Prime Level 3, 550 Bourke Street, Melbourne 3000
9:00am - 5:00pm
Sydney - 26th of March, 2013
Allianz Stadium (Captains Bar) Moore Park Road, Moore Park, 2021
9:00am - 5:00pm
"Given the relevance of sustainability in modern society, the summit is open to those who are passionate about the environment and are initiating or developing sustainability strategies in either grass roots, community or professional sports. Not only will this summit be a great networking, knowledge sharing and development experience for anyone in sport but it will be a great opportunity for those providing services such a waste management, energy providers, recruitment and consulting services" says SSU Director Michael Bokody.
"We expect a diverse mix of people who will be able to connect, share experiences and develop key relationships."
Registrations for the summit can be made via Sports Sustainability United at www.sportssustainability.asia with an early bird ticket price available until the 17th of February.
Help Australia become a leader in this space and improve the environmental health of our communities so we can have places and spaces to live, work, and play.
SSU is supported by Deakin University and Sports Learning Australia.